New home painters usually don’t get enough help like today. Scores of new paints and equipment placed on the market in the last few years make it possible for the weekend handyman to paint his own house almost as easily as a professional. From one-coat paints to disposable blowtorches, everything has been designed to make the job go faster, look better and cost less.
With the new outside rollers, you can paint an average-size house in a couple of days. Add an extension handle and you can roll a terrace without stooping down, reach a roof without leaving the ground.
Painting Hard Spots
Specialized aids with built-in know, how to tackle the hard spots for you.
Better still, you don’t have to spend hours getting ready and hours cleaning up afterward. Premixed paints, electric-drill attachments, and self-dispensing calking guns make short work of
preparation. Cleaning up is a soap-and-water job for the rubber paints or a quick dip in special cleaners for the oils.
In this section are some tips on techniques and tools that make it easier to paint your house than ever before – not the way the “pro” does, perhaps, but with much the same results.
Paint – More About It All
The term paint is used to include paints, varnishes, enamels, shellacs, lacquers, and stains.
- Paints are composed of mineral pigments, organic vehicles, and a variety of thinners all combined.
- Varnishes are resins dissolved in organic thinners.
- Enamels are pigmented varnishes.
- Shellac is lac gum dissolved in alcohol.
- Lacquers may be both pigmented and clear – the liquid portion usually is treated nitrocellulose dissolve in thinners.
- Stains may be pigmented oil or a penetrating type.
Many of these materials, such as paints, varnishes, and lacquers, are formulated for specific purposes:
- House paints for exterior part of the house varnishes are supposed to give good service whenever they are exposed to weather.
- Paints for the interiors are well formulated to offer excellent coverage and better cleaning ability.
- Floor enamels are made to withstand abrasion.
- Lacquers are formulated for rapid drying.
- There are also formulas which provide extra self-cleaning, fume- resisting, waterproofing, hardening, flexibility, mildew-resisting, resistance to fading, and breathing qualities.
Interior paints are used to obtain pleasing decorative effects, improve sanitary conditions, and ensure better lighting. These paints may be divided into four types: wall primers; one-coat flats; flat, semigloss, and gloss; and water paints.
Wall primers or primer-sealers are intended to be applied directly to bare plaster, wallboard, and similar porous surfaces to provide a uniform, sealed surface for subsequent coats of paint. A typical wall primer may be made from varnish or bodied-oil vehicle and hiding pigments. It is intended to penetrate only slightly into porous surfaces.